For my first post, I would like to briefly share my process and thoughts behind my own Logo and Branding for daragh.ie
– Creatives often find designing their own brand a daunting task
This can hold true for many, and I have experienced this firsthand as a younger designer. But like any project a designer faces, one of the keys to success, is to set guidelines, and develop a thorough brief for yourself, as you would expect from any other client – put simply, become a client to yourself.
Keypoints to my brief (to myself) included:
- Have fun with it, enjoy the process
- Make it unique with using my initials, d & b
- Incorporate the elements of sea & sky which have always fascinated me
- Design my colour palette using cyan/turquoise keeping the tone of the brand true to these elements
- Make sure that the brand feels spacious and clean
- Explore options for placing over images, video and different containers
- Would it make a solid tattoo
- How will it animate
I proceeded to draft up moodboards, which helped clarify what i had in mind for the logo. I have always had a huge interest in aviation and flight (lots of biggles, airfix and air ace comics) tied in with a fascination with the immensity and lure of the sea. These would be the inspiration behind my logo.
From these moodboards i began sketching and drafting up ideas. Using the bowl from the lowercase d and b i discovered i could mirror and manipulate these to tie in with a trident and if i angled inwards the ascending lines of the trident these could be used to signify a flight of jets and their contrails.
Flight , Sea ,d and b
O.k great! I’m liking the direction this is taking, now to bring this into the computer and draft it up so that it will scale. I build the logo in Adobe Illustrator and layout my chosen colours, noting the pantone and hex values. I also look at how it will appear over a solid background colour and lastly over an image background.
Yay! Pretty stoked with the look of this. Next up I plan on animating the logo, and following that, looking at expanding the brand into my social media accounts and implementing a style for video titling. Will post up a follow on from this when I get a chance.
If you’re interested in finding out more or looking to implement something similar for your brand, I’d be more than happy to help.